Thursday, August 8, 2013

So, how was Africa?

**video at the bottom of the page** sorry for the LONG post!

"So, how was Africa"  The question I have gotten everyday since I have been back.  Also, as I am finding, the hardest question to answer..it leaves me speechless (yes, me!).  

How can you put into words what our trip was?  What we saw?  The remarkable things that happened?  What I learned?  

Honestly, I am still digesting some of it!  

There will have to be a series of blogs about my trip because I am not sure there is a space limit on blog posts but if so, I would max it out.

For today, I want to focus on our group.  The 10 strangers that over the course of 10 days became friends.  From Day 1, I felt super comfortable with every one of them and I know that each one was placed on this trip and in my life for a reason.


10 new friends and lots of laughs was such a huge blessing.  Being half way around the world and away from my family and friends didn't feel lonely.  

We had two mothers on our trip with their kids; Angela and Jesse and Mindy and Kate.  We had two Fathers with no kids, but looking out for us all.  We had two young girls, both in college and already doing such amazing things with their hearts, and then...we had three crazy girls from Colorado.  It truly was a great mix!  

I am not sure I would have ever been bold enough to go on a missions trip, 8,000 miles away by myself...I was SO thankful for Andrea opening my eyes and inviting me on this trip!   10 days with a bestie was WONDERFUL!  We were bunk mates.  She took the top bunk and I took the bottom...watching her legs dangle from above as she woke up every morning and wanted to get down, quickly became my favorite start to the day ;)  No ladder for that girl!  No really, they didn't have one BUT even if it did...she may have chosen to shimmy down anyway.  

April, Andrea's  friend, also came with us!  I can't believe I never met her before!  We are kindred spirits and she kept me laughing each day!  That girl is funny.  I love her honesty and her true interest in learning the culture and lifestyle everywhere she goes.  She was a ray of light on this trip and I am excited to continue our friendship at home!

Angela and Jesse are an amazing team...just how a mother and son should be!  Jesse has an amazing heart for God and this was his 4th missions trip to Africa!  4th!  And, he loves it! He lives so boldy while he is there...he loves Ingera (a main dish in Ethiopia), his family's sponsor kids are his brothers, he is respectful, honest and kind and just a sweet hearted spirit.  Angela is a great mom and was a wonderful leader!  She did a great job rolling with the unexpected, making sure we were all comfortable and safe and really making the trip the most it could be for each of us.  We all have different hearts, and she went out of her way to make sure they were fulfilled in the end.  oh!  and that girl can tell a story!!

Brian and Eric were the men on our team.  They both made sure we were safe and comfortable.  They were also the two that were the first ones I saw on my roughest/most amazing day (story to come later).   Watching the kids with them was amazing!  Watching them lead us (both physically and spiritually through stories or even our bible studies) was an awesome experience.  Watching Eric and Andrea's relationship as sponsor parents with similar goals was great!  What a blessing for Andrea!  

Mindy and Kate...have a great relationship as mother and daughter!  It was fun to see the two of them have fun together!  Having this experience for the first time together...WOW!  What a cool memory!  The story of what brought them to Africa and Kate's passion to go was one of my favorite things to hear.  I loved watching God work through these kids!  No one is too small, too young, too old, to Go Be Love.

And, lastly sweet Brandie and Liz...these two were friends already as they went on a missions trip together last year.  It was refreshing to watch these girls.  They are each on the college path and watching them in that stage of life, take time to give so big to others made me smile.  I was not in that place at that age and man, I wish I was!  They each had their own place...Brandie's place?  Well, its just Ethiopia ;)  Pretty sure that girl will end up there one day and I am so happy I get to see it all play out!  Liz, holding those babies at the orphanage.  It was her place.  Watching her love and hold those babies was precious.  

Each of our teammates brought something to the table for our team.  It was a perfect fit!

So, now that I have given you a mini glimpse into our team...I have to find a way to put our trip into words!  A near impossible task, but I will try!

For now...pictures are worth a thousand words so here is the video montage we made for our last night.  We watched as a group and reflected on our week together.  Each of these pictures is a story to us; a memory and a journey.  I hope this will help give you a quick glimpse into our week...boots on the ground, hearts open to GO.BE.LOVE.





1 comment:

  1. Love this. I'm laughing all over again picturing my body dangling from that top bunk :)

    ReplyDelete